Friday, April 06, 2007

Things that make me say 'huh?'

Anyone remember a movie called "Southland Tales?" I didn't think so.

After playing at last year's Cannes Film Festival, Richard Kelly's oddball flick seemed to simply disappear. For fans of "Donnie Darko," it was a bitter pill to swallow, even if the new flick had been rejected by the Cannes audience.

Now, however, comes news that just makes it even more confusing. On his Web site, http://www.richard-kelly.net, he has the following missive:

So we have finally gotten the greenlight from Sony for the additional round of visual effects for Southland Tales. This is VERY GOOD NEWS for the film!

We will now be able to finish the film properly. Phew!

The film will be completely finished for the first public screening
sometime mid-summer.


Well, I'm glad he bothered to clear things up. For anyone who has forgotten all about this movie, it sounds like even if it's horrible, it will at least be epicly so. Here, according to Comingsoon.net, is the plot summary:

The ensemble piece is set in the futuristic landscape of Los Angeles on July 4, 2008, as it stands on the brink of social, economic and environmental disaster. Dwayne "The Rock" Johnson stars as Boxer Santaros, an action star stricken with amnesia whose life intertwines with Krysta Now (Sarah Michelle Gellar), an adult film star developing her own reality television project, and David Clark (Seann William Scott), a Hermosa Beach police officer who holds the key to a vast conspiracy. Cheri Oteri, Amy Poehler, Jill Ritchie, Miranda Richardson, John Larroquette, Jon Lovitz, Will Sasso, Wood Harris, Bai Ling, Joe Campana and Wallace Shawn co-star.

How "futuristic" can it be if most of the world doesn't get to see it until less than a year before when the movie is supposed to take place? If I could make things up that sound as crazy as the saga of this movie, I'd be in a different business. Definitely stay tuned to this mess.

Sin City on TV?

So I can watch the end of "The Sopranos" I finally broke down and got digital cable and, if I figure out how to work it, apparently a DVR. So, had I been paying attention, I could have taped this last night and be watching it this morning.

Instead, I'll have to take this again from Comingsoon.net, which had the following nugget from "Grindhouse" director Robert Rodriguez:

Tonight on PBS' The Charlie Rose Show, Robert Rodriguez said that Sin City 2 would probably begin shooting in June and that Sin City would probably continue in some form on television.

Hmmmmmmm ... I think I could see that working, since the source material is so rich. The First "Sin City" flick certainly has its detractors, but after a slow start it was just an ultrafun ride to me. What do you think?

I'm gonna have to cut this a little short today to mess around with my new cable toybox. Stay tuned this weekend for:

Tomorrow: In yesterday's comments, I got tagged by always-welcome reader Kookiejar to list five sites that make me think. And I'm not ignoring the request, just taking a day to, well, think about it. Feel free to check back for the list Saturday morning.

Sunday: It's all about "Grindhouse" this weekend, and I will have a review up by early Sunday morning. I leave you today with, well, words can't even describe this "Rolling Stone" magazine cover, so just check it out for yourself. Peace out.

12 comments:

kookie said...

I'll look forward to your review of 'Grindhouse'. I'm not a Tarantino fan, but I appreciate the spirit of what he's trying to do. It just looks soooo over the top.

Take your time on the thinking blog list.

Reel Fanatic said...

It certainly will be at least that, kookiejar ... I'm not expecting high art, but it should be tons of fun at the minimum

Chris said...

I pretty much hated Sin City and I found it unwatchable (except for that scene with Carla Gugino) when I tried to give it another look. But I tell you what, you're going to have a great time with Grindhouse. "Planet Terror" would be worth the price of admission alone, but then you have the trailers and then a whole other movie to look forward to, which doesn't disappoint for the most part.

Reel Fanatic said...

Thanks for the heads up, Chris ... I know a lot of people who agree with you on Sin City, but I've watched it twice now and still like it ... I don't like all of Rodriguez's movies, though, notably his ridiculous to basically remake his own movie, El Mariachi, in English as Desperado

Terence Towles Canote said...

Given the nature of the original material, I would think a Sin City TV series would have to air on HBO, Showtime, or another premium outlet. I just can't see it on network TV or even syndication....

Reel Fanatic said...

True enough, Mercurie ... HBO is pretty much dedicated to series and original movies now, so that might just be a perfect fit

Eaglewing said...

I loved the Sin City movie. Especially Mickey Rourke nailing the part of Marv (big surprise, see my pic), but then I am a huge fan of the original books by Frank Miller.

As for TV, it would have to be HBO, but I'm not sure where they'd go with it. Other than Dwight, and maybe Wallace & Nancy, who's left to use? They'd have to come up with all new characters to spin the series around, and that may or may not work depending on who the series writers are and if they can replicate Miller's Sin City feel.

I'm still interested in seeing Southland Tales, just for the train wreck possibilities. An odd cast, storyline, and bizarre behind the scenes stuff - oh yeah, I gotta see this...

Reel Fanatic said...

I had to watch Donnie Darko three times before I could really get it, Eaglewing, so I shouldn't rush to judgement with this one either, I guess, but it definitely does sound like a fascinating mess

Ashok said...

Hey Keith,

Watched "Grind House", posted my review in http://amusicment.blogspot.com.

Divinity said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Divinity said...

Darn, I'll have to settle for second place.
http://applepolished.blogspot.com/2007/04/grindhouse.html
Cheers!

Reel Fanatic said...

Thanks, Divinity ... I checked out Ashok's review, and he didn't care much for the movie ... Thanks for your opinion, which I'm about to check out now