Thursday, November 04, 2010

The first extended look at what should be the craziest movie of 2011

Though plenty of people I know heaped scorn on Zack Snyder for what he did with "Watchmen," considering his options with what should have probably remained an "unfilmable" funny book, I thought he did a first-rate job, even without a giant squid.

So I've been looking forward to "Sucker Punch" quite a bit. Coming in March 2011, it will be Snyder's first original idea turned into a movie. Well, as you'll see from the first full trailer below, not entirely original. The story of a teen girl who uses her imagination to escape from a mental institution owes a heck of a lot to both Lewis Carroll's "Alice in Wonderland" and Guillermo del Toro's "Pan's Labyrinth."

That said, however, it still seems that what our heroine (Emily Browning) dreams up will be a rather amazing trip, all thankfully made in glorious 2D and somehow co-starring both Reel Fanatic fave Carla Gugino and Jon Hamm, so enjoy the trailer (which looks great full screen) and stick around for a couple more clips just silly enough to be perfect for a Thursday morning.



Of all the things that happened with Tuesday's election, none of them terribly encouraging to me, the single oddest would have to be that Californians voted for the return of Gov. Moonbeam while simultaneously rejecting Prop 19, which dealt with legalizing some marijuana use. Having used the stuff only once (on a side trip from the 2006 World Cup to Amsterdam with mi hermano) in the last 10 years or so, I really don't have any opinion either way, but I do know that this clip of Jerry Stiller and Anne Meara discussing "marihuana" is nothing but funny. Enjoy.



And finally today, given how protective George Lucas is of his creations, I suspect this clip won't be around for long, but you've got to appreciate the effort that Bryan Theiss put into this mashup of Lando Calrissian and R. Kelly's "Real Talk." Nothing but awesome, and with that, I'm off to the job that somehow still pays my bills. Peace out.

4 comments:

Bob said...

I've yet to be blown away by anything Zack Snyder's made and I'm not expecting "Sucker Punch" to be an exception but I am intrigued. It's been ages since I've seen Scott Glenn in anything and I've certainly never seen him in a role like that. And it's nice to see Jena Malone's pretty face again too.
It's just one more sleep until Alan Partridge, isn't it? Actually, heck it may be up by tonight over here in the colonies. AHA!

Reel Fanatic said...

It may indeed ... I'm gonna wait until morning, though, so I can catch it as a gift to start the day .. And I'm sure you know that if it's embeddable, Alan Partridge will be here as soon as I can get around to it!

Jim Marquis said...

"Sucker Punch" looks pretty fun. I suppose it could have also been called "Hot Girls Prison".

Reel Fanatic said...

Exactly, Mr. Marquis .. And I'm not ashamed to admit that I'll always kind that kind of thing very entertaining