Friday, May 01, 2009

When will "Chuck" 's fate be decided?

Because my mind has little more to do than wrap itself around such questions, I've been trying to figure that out for days now, and have finally - I think - found the answer, sort of.

In a story at the Hollywood Reporter, it was reported that NBC Vice President for Drama Development Nora O'Brien suddenly dropped dead on the set of a pilot based on the 1989 movie "Parenthood" (even with Peter Krause as the star, there's just about zero chance I'm gonna tune in to that.) Anyways, buried under this tragic news was that the network was in the process of screening its potential pilots this week and readying for its "infront" announcement (is it just me, or did these things used to be called "upfronts"?) on Monday.

Now, with this development, there's some doubt about whether the unveiling of the network's fall lineup will go ahead as planned or delayed, so stay tuned here to find out. As for the prospects of "Chuck," the article didn't have too much enlightening to say.

With that soulless time-snd-space-sucker Jay Leno snatching up five hours a week to faun over celebrities, the real chances for "Chuck" will probably rest on just how many new shows NBC decides to pick up. Although it's nearly impossible to tell at this point, the networks execs seem to be considering nine potential new shows. all the article had to say specifically about "Chuck" was this: And to the delight of staunch "Chuck" supporters, the chances of survival for the quirky soft-rated series have improved slightly. Thanks for not much at all there, guys.

Here's hoping that at least a few of the potential pilots just suck huge donkey balls, because if NBC cancels "Chuck" now that he's about to become a seriously superspy with evolving and revolving abilities, it would be the biggest TV crime since, well, the greatest single-season show of all time, "Freaks and Geeks." As soon as I hear any firm word, be it Monday or later next week, I'll surely pass it on. And now, if you'll excuse me, I'm off to see "Wolverine," thought I can't say it's with terribly high hopes. Peace out.

4 comments:

Jess said...

I totally agree!!! I loved the finale. It better return!

Cullen said...

Wondering what you thought of Wolverine. The wife and I thought it was fun. If you can ignore the plot holes and the tragedy they made of Deadpool, it's a great popcorn flick.

Reel Fanatic said...

I wouldn't say great, Cullen, but I can go for good ... The first hour or so, however, was just tremendously boring to me, but I'm really not sure what Gavin Hood could have done, since everyone knew the story of Wolverine already .. the second half, though, was as you said just pure fun, and I was really happy to see Tim Riggins from FNL have a key part

Terence Towles Canote said...

It is sad about Chuck and other hour longs on NBC. While I can understand their logic in having Leno five nights a week (cheap to produce), it does make it hard for hour long dramas to make it onto NBC and to survive there. And it does put Chuck's survival into serious doubt. Here's hoping for good news tomorrow.