Tuesday, July 01, 2008

Bond, James Bond ... and possibly even better spy games to come

Yes, I may be more than a couple of days behind because of my fascination with "Wall-E," but I have indeed finally figured out there's a trailer for "Quantum of Solace" out there that promises all kinds of cold-blooded fun come November.

But first comes news this morning about my favorite currently unemployed (as far as I can tell, but it's hard to keep track these days) director, Aussie Phillip Noyce.

How in the world can a guy go from directing the nearly flawless "Catch a Fire" in 2006 (easily one of my favorite flicks from that year, so see it on DVD!) to not doing much at all since? I've seen his name attached to a flick of Philip Roth's "American Pastoral," which would be sublime, and to one based on the Aussie novel "Dirt Music," which I'm not familiar with, but neither of those seem to have really gotten going.

But this morning comes word that, with the help of Tom Cruise, Noyce may be about to get back to something he does extremely well: spy games. Along with directing two Tom Clancy movies ("Clear and Present Danger" and "Patriot Games"), Noyce also made one of the best remakes I've seen in many years with his take on Graham Greene's "The Quiet American" in 2002.

And now he's about to sign on to direct Mr. Cruise in something called "Salt," a project that has been kicking around for a few years about Edwin A. Salt, a CIA officer (Cruise, natch) who's accused by a defector of being a Russian sleeper spy and has to fight to clear his name.

Peter Berg and Terry George have been attached to this in previous attempts that clearly didn't pan out, but here's hoping this finally comes together, 'cause Mr. Noyce could clearly use the work!

And, oh yeah, about that Bond trailer. I still have no friggin' clue what "Quantum of Solace" means, but this teaser trailer indeed promises enough to get me back in the Bond groove anyway. Enjoy, and have a perfectly bearable Tuesday.

5 comments:

dbackdad said...

I'm an unapologetic Bond fan. I think Craig is easily the best Bond since Connery. This trailer looks pretty good.

Liked your review of Wall-E. Saw it over the weekend and was impressed with the stark beauty of the beginning and with the overall very adult themes.

Terence Towles Canote said...

Wow. Quantum of Solace does look like it will be good. I love what they have done with the "James Bond Theme."

As to what a quantum of solace is, I seem to recall the short story of that title, the quantum of solace is a mathematical measurement of love, It is the precise figure, defining the humanity, comfort, and mutual feeling necessary for love between two people to last. I don't know if that made any sense...you might have to read the short story!

Reel Fanatic said...

That does indeed make more sense than any other explanation I've seen so far, Mercurie, so thanks for clearing it up .. It's still an awful title, though!

Ms☆Go said...

I'm guessing the title is what 89.345% of the James Bond movie titles are; a code for the diabolical weapon of the megalomaniacal villain.

Reel Fanatic said...

You may be right there, DC Movie Girl ... I have a feeling that I'll still have no idea what the movie title means even when it's over, but the next Bond flick sthould still be nothing but fun