Friday, April 04, 2008

Pegg and Wright, together again? Frak yeah!


That last bit of juvenilia was, of course, in honor of the premiere of the fourth season of "Battlestar Galactica" tonight (or earlier), but we'll get to more on that later.

The almost-as-good news today is that Edgar Wright and Simon Pegg, the comedy masterminds behind "Shaun of the Dead" and "Hot Fuzz," will join forces again for a third film, to be titled "The World's End." Though I don't know anything about the plot beyond the title, judging from their first two very funny films I'd have to guess this one will be a spoof on/valentine to sci-fi flicks.

I just couldn't bring myself to watch Simon Pegg in "Run Fatboy Run," and I don't have very high hopes he's gonna be terribly funny in "How to Lose Friends and Alienate People," due in October, either. I mean, I hate to pigeonhole the man, but he's clearly at his best with his friends, and thankfully he seems to realize that too.

"The World's End" is part of a two-picture deal Wright has signed with Working Title. Before reteaming with Pegg, he'll make something for the studio called "Baby Driver," which is described as "a wild spin on the action and crime genre which will be set in the US." Cool enough.

Even before that, me thinks, Wright will also be making "Scott Pilgrim vs. the World" with veryfunnyman Michael Cera based on the graphic novel about a young lad (Cera) who has to do battle with his new girlfriend's seven exes.

That's almost too much funny, but given the mediocre slate of movies we have right now, I really don't think that's possible. Bring it all on!

Remember Olivia Williams?

I have to confess I didn't immediately without seeing her picture, but Williams is, of course, the school teacher hot enough to make Max Fischer try to build an aquarium on a baseball field.

I loved her in "Rushmore" (which I once drove two hours to D.C. just to see), but really haven't seen much of her at all since. A quick look at her IMDB resume reveals that she has been working steadily, but not in a movie that I have managed to see since 1999's "The Sixth Sense."

Now, however, she's back in something I'll definitely tune in for, Joss Whedon's return to TV in the form of "Dollhouse."

On the Fox show about drones programmed to execute various missions (the "dolls," of which Eliza Dushku, thankfully, is the main one), Williams will play the ruthless matron who controls the "Dollhouse." I have to say, I'd do just about anything Olivia Williams asked me to, whether she was being "ruthless" or not.

Actually, looking back at the IMDB, it also says she had an "uncredited" role in "X-Men: The Last Stand" as Dr. Moira MacTaggart. Can anyone remember that? I've just wiped every memory of that awful mess from my mind completely.

The bottom line: The world is certainly a better place with more Rosemary Cross in it.

"Battlestar Galactica" is back!

It would be hard to overstate just how geeked up I am for the fourth season of "Battlestar Galactica," which premieres at 10 tonight on the Sci-Fi Channel or, if you have a fast hookup, even earlier (at noon EST) on line here.

What's so good about "Battlestar"? Well, it's extremely smart science fiction, and also at times very funny. It tries and almost always succeeds to be a biting commentary on our society, and is easily the best show on TV right now (with "The Wire" gone for good.)

Phillip Ramati, a k a the TV Guy, was luckily (and enterprising) enough to get an advance copy and reports that, not surprisingly at all, it's as good as ever. He doesn't reveal any serious spoilers, but for just a tease read what he had to say about it here.

As for me, I'm gonna brave one trip to the multiplex this weekend, but it won't be for George Clooney's "Leatherheads." Against all my better judgment, I'm actually gonna take a chance on "The Ruins" and hope to find something suitably entertaining and creepy. Peace out.

12 comments:

Bob said...

Pegg, Wright, and Frost! Olivia Williams! Happy birthday to me!
As for me I will most definitely be seeing "Leatherheads." Good luck with "The Ruins." I expect nothing but awfulness from that one.

jeremy said...

Season 3 was just *so* disappointing. I mean, the opener was good, but ugh, that boxing epidsode? And the Bruce Davison bad doctor episode? And the ep where Kat dies? And the LAZY writing! It was like they drained all of the subtlety of the first two seasons! To top it all off, all the "cylons" are singing Jimmi Hendrix and the finale is a courtroom drama? Gods, I was so ashamed that I even told anyone to watch the show with how pathetic it became last season.

But apparently, they all know how lame it became--they were forced by SciFi to bring in new viewers with stand alones. So I'm hoping . . . I hope they don't frak it up all over again.

(And I think the Ruins looks kinda fun--better than all that Saw crap, but probably not as good as The Descent.)

Eric said...

Lorraine and I just finishted watching season 3. I respecfully disagree with your analysis Jeremy. I thought the Dylan hook was pretty cool if not confusing.
Regardless we can just agree to disagree on that note.
Now has anyone really looked at the Tattoo on Starbuck's left shoulder? Yup A space invaders gunship including the little Pixel bullet flying out the top. I found that to be greatly amusing

Chalupa said...

I've been really debating on whether or not to see Run Fat Boy Run. I am a sucker for Sam Pegg and Nick Frost, but Pegg isn't even fat. I'll probably see it eventually. Thanks for the heads up on the new Pegg-Wright-Frost film in the works.

And last but not least - I too am all pumped for Battlestar Galactica. There have been marathons all week from 8am to 6pm with season 3 episodes showing at night from 1am-3am. Unfortunately I'm a working man so I haven't been seeing anything during the day, but I have caught a few of the night episodes. Some friends are coming over for the big premiere tonight. In case anybody didn't know, they're showing the last two episodes of season 3 starting at 8pm EST with the new episode starting at 10pm EST.

Reel Fanatic said...

I indeed have the DVR set to start at 8 tonight, Bob, since I don't get off until about 9 ... My hope is to watch the final Season 3 episodes and then jump right into the Season 4 finale, all tonight if I can manage to stay up that late ...

And I'm with Eric on Season 3, perhaps a bit confusing but just as intriguing as ever

And, finally, happy birthday Bob!

Bob said...

Thanks! I'm thoroughly enjoying my day. I'm off work, already watched "Hot Fuzz" and will be on my way to "Leatherheads" shortly. This IS a happy birthday! :)

Unknown said...

So jealous at you guys getting to watch Battlestar tonight. I have to wait for the DVD set :(

I enjoyed "Run Fatboy Run". But then I thought "Hot Fuzz" was a lazy, self-indulgent load of nonsense and a huge disappointment after "Shaun of the Dead". The whole "Fatboy" title is admittedly ridiculous, and the film feels in places like hundreds of films I've already seen, but I laughed out loud several times - which is more than can be said for "Hot Fuzz".

Reel Fanatic said...

I know you are a discerning viewer, Ian, so I'll certainly at least give "Run Fatboy Run" a chance on DVD ... I've had a ridiculous crush on Thandie Newton ever since way back with "Flirting," so that's certainly an added bonus!

Terence Towles Canote said...

Well, I'd argue that the fourth season debut of Battlestar Galactica is probably the least of your bits of news this time around, but that's just me. (-: I have to say, I am very happy to see Edgar Wright and Simon Pegg are going to be back together for a third film. Whatever The World's End is about, I am sure it will be hilarious. And it seems Dollhouse just keeps sounding better and better. I think I'd do just about anything Olivia Williams asked me to, too.

Divinity said...

Moira might have been the one true note in X-Men 3 probably because they didn't have time to mess her up. She's in the video that Xavier shows the kids at the school where she's working with a man who has been comatose for years and she's in the post-credits scene where Xavier returns.
In X-Men lore, she's intimately involved with Xavier and married to Banshee.

Reel Fanatic said...

Ah ... thanks for the clarification, Divinity ... I was so surprised to see it listed in hier IMDB credits, and am still wondering why it was an "uncredited" role

J.D. said...

!!!!!!!!!!

I love Shaun of the Dead and Hot Fuzz so frakking much.