Saturday, July 02, 2011

What's next for Studio Ghibli: The first UK trailer for "Arrietty"


The other day at work, my fellow cubicle slave (and damn fine reporter) Mike Stucka and I were discussing the worst animated movies we had ever seen, and I somewhat facetiously mentioned "Cars" (though I do truly loathe that movie).

I eventually settled on "Chicken Little" for my pick, and I firmly stand by it, and he chose, sight unseen, "Anastasia," because as he said (and I'm probably paraphrasing by now), "why would you take a kid to a movie about an entire family being gunned down"?

Solid point, that, and all that got me thinking about what are actually my favorite animated movies, and found that they come from only two directors, Brad Bird and Hayao Miyazaki (hey, I know what I like). In order, they are:

1. "The Iron Giant"
2. "Kiki's Delivery Service"
3. "Ratatouille"
4. "Porco Rosso"
5. "The Incredibles"

And I tell you all that to tell you this, though thankfully Miyazaki is again at work on a new movie, and even better its the sequel "Porco Rosso 2" (due out in 2012), the next Studio Ghibli offering is something called "Arrietty," directed by studio animator Hiromasa Yonebashi.

Based on May Norton's "The Borrowers" series of novels, it's about a family of tiny people who live under the floorboards of a human family's house. And below is the first trailer I know of for the UK version, which, for some reason, will be different, voice-wise, from the American version, which is set to come out Feb. 17.

Any Ghibli, however, is potentially great Ghibli to me, so enjoy the trailer and have a great rest of the weekend. Peace out.