Friday, August 13, 2010

Easily the funniest thing I've seen so far today (though it's only 7 a.m.)

OK, David Fincher's "The Social Network," about the invention of Facebook and set to come out Oct. 1, is certainly one of the five or so movies I'm most looking forward to this fall.

After all, I love movies about American ingenuity (and have a probably way-too-lofty spot in my heart for Francis Ford Coppola's "Tucker"), and with a script by Aaron Sorkin you're pretty much guaranteed it will be whipsmart. And the trailers so far have been pretty universally brilliant, especially the clip featuring that piano-based cover of Radiohead's "Creep."

Now, having said all that, why not make fun of it? After all, what exactly was invented here anyway? Though I'm on it and check it fairly often, Facebook certainly has its mockable features (can anyone explain to me exactly what "Farmville" is?), and the clip below jumps all over it with a faux trailer for "Twitter: The Movie." It's funnier than any more words from me could make it, so enjoy the clip and then the original trailer it so sharply skewers, and if you're so inclined, stick around for the trailer for what should be a first-rate documentary. Enjoy.





I have to admit that I've never read "Freakonomics," the bestseller by Steven Levitt and Stephen Dubner, but I've read selected chapters, and it does have some interesting things to say about causality. I particularly enjoyed the chapter about corruption in sumo wrestling (certainly a burning issue for our times), and the segment on abortion and crime rate is as enlightening as it is simply disturbing. So, you can certainly put the six-segment documentary based on it, which will feature those two chapters, on my fall list too. It's a collaborative effort from directors Heidi Ewing, Alex Gibney, Seth Gordon, Rachel Grady, Eugene Jarecki and Morgan Spurlock, and here is the first trailer I know of. Enjoy, have a great weekend, and certainly go see "Scott Pilgrim Vs. the World." Peace out.

6 comments:

M. Dean said...

That's hilarious and I never thought a movie about Facebook would be so intense or that Jesse could play any role besides the one he's been continuing since "the squid and the whale."

I'm sure you've heard the rumblings about the brutal violence in "the killer inside me," but I just watched it on ifc in theatres on demand and its really good. Casey's best performance next to Jesse James. All the actors are really great actually and there's a great feel to it.

Reel Fanatic said...

Thanks for the tip, M. Dean ... I think that one will be right up my alley, so I'll check it out this weekend

dbackdad said...

You've made my day. That twitter spoof is money. I think I'll tweet it.

Reel Fanatic said...

Ha ... Glad I could be of assistance ... I think there's a Youtube the movie parody out there too, but I haven't seen it yet

Reel Fanatic said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
yanmaneee said...

longchamp handbags
yeezy
pandora
yeezy 350
moncler outlet
kyrie 4
supreme hoodie
hermes handbags
off white hoodie
yeezy