Sunday, May 23, 2010

What's that I smell? I think it's this summer's movies

I really can't blame anybody but myself.

I haven't watched "Saturday Night Live" for more than 20 minutes or so in more than five years, and really haven't even liked a "SNL" movie since "Wayne's World." But I like going to the movies, I really like Kristen Wiig and I'm not afraid to admit that I thought Jorma Taccone's first movie, "Hot Rod" starring Andy Samberg of "SNL," was a hoot, thanks in large part to Ian McShane but also just because it was simply a big ball of goofy fun.

"MacGruber," however, doesn't come close to that spirit. It starts off thoroughly dumb and just keeps getting dumber, almost never adding a bit of funny. And just in case you're wondering, I am a big fan of dumb comedy done well. When I got home Saturday, I watched Broken Lizard's "Slammin' Salmon," and while that's far from a masterpiece by any standard, it was very funny, as the Broken Lizard guys usually are.

"MacGruber," though, is so bad that it isn't even worth any more words from me, so let's just say it's f$#%ing awful and move on. And though I didn't bother to even see the latest "Shrek," I'm really starting to notice a distinct odor to this summer's wide-release movies because, so far at least, they all kinda stink.

Think about it. The last great movie I saw in a moviehouse was "Kick-Ass." Since then, "Iron Man 2" was at best a paint-by-numbers pale imitation of the original, "Robin Hood" was as empty as it was thoroughly unnecessary, and "MacGruber," well ...

So, will there be anything worth watching before Christopher Nolan's summer-saving "Inception"? I'm looking to June 4 for a double-header of at least slight winners with "Get Him to the Greek" and "Splice." The latter has been getting enough TV exposure that I have to hope it's gonna play everywhere and be at least some kind of smart sci-fi rather than simply a creature feature with a twist. Here's five clips from that flick, starring Sarah Polley and Adrien Brody. Enjoy, and have perfectly pleasant Sunday. Peace out.

4 comments:

Ryan McNeil said...

The quality of what's on deck this summer has been underwhelming me for some time now. I think that what's gonna have to happen, is we're all going to have to search a little harder this year...

Using last summer as an example - forsake TRANSFORMERS and TERMINTAOR, track down the MOON and HURT LOCKER.

If you want a juming off point - check to see if EXIT THROUGH THE GIFT SHOP or THE SECRET IN THEIR EYES is playing anywhere near you.

Reel Fanatic said...

I'd love to see both of those, mad hatter, especially Exit Through the Gift Shop, but for either one I'd have to make a 75-minute drive one way up the road ... I think I'm gonna do that at least once this summer for Jeunet's Micmacs, assuming it opens in Atlanta next Friday, and maybe a couple of others too

yanmaneee said...

pandora charms
supreme hoodie
off white jordan 1
cheap jordans
westbrook shoes
yeezy
pandora charms
kobe 11
a bathing ape
hermes belt

Unknown said...

helpful resources replica ysl Recommended Site replica designer bags published here replica louis vuitton bags