Tuesday, October 21, 2008

A free flick from Wayne Wang? Enjoy it while you can

Until this morning, I knew nothing at all about the movie "Twilight" except that it's about young pretty vampires and is intended for many people in the world who aren't me. But now I know that it stars in some capacity Broadway vet Anna Kendrick, who utterly charmed her way through one of my favorite 2007 movies, "Rocket Science." Probably not enough to make me go see it, but it made me smile for a second anyway.

Much better is that with a visit to YouTube (or by simply clicking below) you can view until Thursday a new feature film from director Wayne Wang for free. Who's Wayne Wang? For much of the world, that's a perfectly understandable question.

For years the Hong Kong director has largely trafficked in some pretty schmaltzy crap ("Maid in Manhattan" and "The Heart of Winn Dixie" come to mind), but he also managed to direct easily one of my favorite flicks in "Smoke." If you haven't seen this little movie about the power of storytelling and starring Harvey Keitel, William Hurt, Stockard Channing, Forest Whitaker, Ashley Judd and Harold Perrineau of "Lost" fame, Netflix it immediately and thank me later.

But the new news about Mr. Wang is that he's recently released two feature films, "A Thousand Years of Good Prayers" and "Princess Nebraska," the latter of which has been released for free on YouTube. All I know about it for sure is that it's about a Chinese woman who is four months pregnant and going to college in Nebraska. Abortion and San Francisco factor in here somehow, but to find out anymore you'll just have to watch for yourself, as I will very soon.



R.I.P. Dolemite

The most amazing thing about Rudy Ray Moore dying is that he managed to stay alive so long in the first place. The rather rude but usually very funny comedian died Sunday night in Toledo of complications of diabetes at the age of 81.

I can't say his act was ever my favorite thing to watch, but there's no denying he had great influence over hip-hop music, and for that I can only say thanks.

About four or five years ago, Mr. Moore was scheduled to play a show in Macon, and our former entertainment writer Greg Fields was tasked with interviewing him. I laughed for about three minutes straight as Greg tried multiple times to call Mr. Moore, only to be hung up on and swore at because he was mistaken for a bill collector. I still don't know if that was a joke on Mr. Moore's part, but it certainly made my day.

Enjoy this extremely profane (remember, I did warn you) clip of him telling the story of the signifying monkey from "Dolemite." R.I.P. Mr. Moore.

5 comments:

Terence Towles Canote said...

First, Edie Adams, no Rudy Ray Moore. Everyone I really liked as a kid (and I REALLY liked Edie Adams--I still do, some crushes never die) is dying. Man, I'm depressed now.

Bob said...

Oh man! Not Dolemite! I've still never actually seen the first movie but I'll never forget the night I watched "The Human Tornado" with my friends and I almost died of laughter. The moment he jumps down the hill and they actually REWIND the movie to see it again ("Let's see that shit again!") is just priceless.

Reel Fanatic said...

It is indeed, Bob ... "Dolemite" is far from a perfect movie, but it's the one that I fear a remake of the most .. There's been talk for years of them doing it with LL Cool J, which would just be a crime of the highest nature

Nell Minow said...

I share your admiration of Anna Kendrick! I first saw her in a DVD salute to Broadway, singing "Life Upon the Wicked Stage." She was sensational. And I hope you've seen her in "Camp." I didn't know she was in "Twilight" -- I hope it really puts her in the front ranks of young stars.

Reel Fanatic said...

I haven't seen that one, Nell, but I certainly will now since I'll add to my Netflix list any flick that you recommend