Tuesday, October 17, 2006

Trailer Tuesday .. with Hot Fuzz!

"Is it true that there is a place in a man's head that, if you shoot it, it will blow up?"

There have been plenty of great movie duos over the years. Bogie and Bacall. Woody and Diane. Leo and Scorsese. Now I'm beginning to suspect we'll soon be able to add to that list Simon Pegg and Nick Frost.

I laughed throughout, and for much of the week after watching, "Shaun of the Dead." If you somehow haven't seen this zombie comedy stop reading now and go rent it. I guarantee you won't be sorry.

Now "Shaun" stars and buddies Pegg and Frost, along with writer/director Edgar Wright, are soon to return with "Hot Fuzz," which so far looks like pure fun.

In it, a London top cop (Pegg) gets reassigned to the small English town of Sandford and reteamed with a rather dimwitted partener (Frost, natch). A series of grisly adventures ensues, and of course our boys are on the case.

From what I've seen so far, I really like that they're taking big shots not at cops, but at how cops are portrayed in the movies. And, of course, it all looks very funny.

But don't take my word for it. Click here and here to enjoy two teaser trailers and, of course, let me know what you think.

Web site of the week

I can't tell if this a joke, a wild dream or an actual movie in the making. All I know for sure is that this site is a great place to waste more than a few minutes.

I have to confess I never would have bothered watching "Billy Jack" if they hadn't riffed on it on "Gilmore Girls." For anyone unfamiliar with Tom Loughlan's crazy character, he's sort of a hippie Rambo, an ex-Green Beret who now fights in the name of peace and love. It's sublimely silly, but I had no idea it was to become his life-consuming passion.

Be prepared before you click on the link above. While it claims to be (and may actually be) a Web site for a new Billy Jack movie called "Billy Jack's Moral Revolution," in which Billy Jack takes on George W. Bush, it's also no less than a manifesto. Don't click until you have some time set aside to explore this madness.

News about people I like

Imagine being a TV studio exec listening to this pitch: "It's like Sex and the City meets Batman." Who could turn that down?

Well, the CW couldn't, so it's given a put pilot commitment to a one-hour action-comedy from "Veronica Mars" writer-producer Diane Ruggiero. It will center on "two very different young women and best friends who unite to fight crime after a mysterious event gives them superpowers they can use only when they are together."

I'm still hooked on "Veronica," whose now in college and on the CW tonight at 9 after "Gilmore Girls," so I'll definitely be tuning in to see what comes of this one.

In other good news, "Firefly" star Nathan Fillion has inked a talent-holding deal with Fox Broadcasting Co., which guarantees the studio and network will develop a comedy or drama script for him. If it doesn't go to pilot, Fox and 20th TV would cast him in an existing project.

What's missing from this picture, at least so far? Joss Whedon, of course, but I like Nathan Fillion quite a bit anyway, so I hope this works out well for him.

A really bad day

Warning: Any fans of England won't want to watch this (although you've probably already seen it by now).

My brother sent me this YouTube video, via soccer-blogging madman Bruce McGuire (Du Nord, linked at left). It stars, if you can say that, England goalkeeper Paul Robinson in every goalie's worst nightmare during England's loss to Croatia in qualifying (or most likely not qualifying, actually) for Euro 2008. Watch out for the great ad for "Borat" playing in the background as well.
For me, at least, it's a lot more therapeutic than any poster of cats clinging to a tree branch. If you think you're having a bad day, click here for a little perspective and, if you're not a fan of England, a good laugh.

14 comments:

Anonymous said...

Stumbled across this on YouTube today and thought you might like it. I wish she had an Emmy to put next to that Tony, but I don't think her storyline will have as much meat as when she and Richard were separated (and she broke down in the empty house).

Reel Fanatic said...

Thanks for that, Jeremy .. I had no idea she had won a Tony! .. The really freaky thing is that I saw A Chorus Line during its initial Broadway run, but it would have been in the early 80s, so I doubt she would still have been in the cast.

*lynne* said...

hey there! wow, those HotFuzz trailers took forever to load, but were definitely amusing :-) Lookin forward to seeing the finished/released product, thanx for the heads up!

Anonymous said...

I actually wasn't a big fan of "Shaun of the Dead" but this teaser got me laughin'.

As for the Nathan news, that's excellent to hear but I hope he doesn't give up on the movie biz!

Reel Fanatic said...

He may have been forced to abandon movies for a little while Marina, after both "Firefly" and "Slither," both of which I loved, performed so poorly at the box office

Simon A said...

Shaun of the Dead was probably my favourite movie of 2004. So funny, so perfectly paced, and then it get's really upsetting. Love it. Cannot wait for Hot Fuzz.

Also, Veronica Mars: faaantastic.

kirsten said...

Shaun of the Dead is a HUGE favourite in our house! (as are Firefly and Serenity)

mellowlee said...

Shaun of the Dead is one of my favorites! I can't wait to see Hot Fuzz. I hadn't heard of it before I read your post. Thanks :)

Divinity said...

From Shaun to football to... the 10th Dr. Who? It's a little off-topic but I was wondering how you were liking the new series? Unfortunately, I missed the opener (for the third time, believe it or not) but "Tooth and Claw" is one of my favourite episodes and one of the most vital to the development of the season's plotline.

Reel Fanatic said...

I have loved the new season so far, Divinity, especially packaged with "Battlestar Galactica" ... Mr. Tennant is doing a fine job, and it's the best fraking two hours on TV

wcdixon said...

All great tidbits Reel - that poor UK goalie..ugh

Reel Fanatic said...

I really have nothing against the English squad, wcdixon, but that clip is just must-see viewing in so many ways

Anonymous said...

Alright, can't wait for that movie Hot Fuzz! I absolutely loved Shaun of the Dead.

zzyytt said...

nike hyperdunk
ysl
nike sneakers for women
adidas yeezy
curry 6 shoes
yeezy boost 700
fake rolex
adidas shoes online
westbrook shoes
louboutin shoes