Tuesday, July 25, 2006

"Gilmore Girls" premiere script

Now that's what I call a scoop.

TV Guide's Michael Ausiello, the lucky (and well, good) bastard, has gotten his hand on the teleplay for the first episode of the seventh season of "Gilmore Girls," aka the first episode of the post-Amy Sherman Palladino era.

Most important thing first: He says of the script, by new show runner David S. Rosenthal, "yes, it's good."

As all fans will remember, the sixth season ended with our heroines in rather precarious positions. After having her impulsive offer to elope rejected by Luke (who, it must be said, has turned into a first-class weenie), Lorelai ran back to Christopher. Rory, meanwhile, was forced to bid au revoir to Logan as he shipped out for a year to work for one of his father's newspapers in London.

It was a suitably downbeat finale to what, for me, was the most disappointingly uneven season of the Gilmores. I really need Rosenthal and his gang to inject some life back into the show, and it seems they have, at least according to Ausiello.

Here's a direct quote of his blunt assessment: "Besides nailing the banter, several of his one-liners were classic, laugh-out-loud Palladino." Amen, brother.

He also says that, inevitably, it will be a tough episode to watch for fans of Luke and Lorelai, but will offer some hope for those of us who think they belong together.

I won't tell you everything he revealed, but I was happy to hear that Rosenthal, like me, is also a big fan of Liza Weil's Paris Geller. Along with the Kims, Paris has grown into my favorite character on the show because Weil has showed her humanity as much as her, well, lesser traits. If you like Liza Weil, I urge you to check out a little flick called "Whatever" from a few years back. It's about two young ladies Weil being one of them) coming of age and following different paths in and out of New Jersey. It's very funny, very real and very entertaining. In "Gilmore Girls" 7.1, Paris apparently becomes - what else- a SAT coach. Should be a hoot.

Mr Ausiello, apparently under threat of severe violence from hired goons at CW, couched these two other nuggets in a sort-of riddle. I couldn't fill in the blanks on any of these, but if you can, please let me know:

Rory and Lorelai spend some quality time together at a *a********* c****

There's a very silly subplot involving Michel, Sookie and *r* ********g.

To read the rest of Ausiello's savory scoop, click here.

Hopefully that will help anyone else out there, who, like me, has been going through serious "Gilmore Girls" withdrawal. Relief is indeed in sight. The show returns Sept. 26, to be followed one week later by "Veronica Mars" in the 9 p.m. slot, giving the CW the best programming bloc of the week, for my money.

"World Trade Center" screening

Though I'm still far from an actual film critic (rumor has it that these lucky people actually get PAID to watch movies), I somehow did manage to finagle my way into a press screening of Oliver Stone's "World Trader Center" tonight in Atlanta. Even if it is Cal Thomas' new favorite movie, I'm really looking forward to it.

It will end later than my brain can function, but I'll have my impressions up by Thursday, so please feel free to come back and check them out.

16 comments:

jeremy said...

Hmmm . . . my fave is still Kelly Bishop as Emily. She is phenomenal and totes deserves an award of some kind--although 7th season all the way around kinda blew.
Can't wait for this season of Veronica--the 3 mystery structure should put a new slant on things.

Reel Fanatic said...

Agreed, Jeremy ... There are so many great characters on the Gilmore Girls to choose from, and Veronica Mars just keeps getting better and better

Carrie Lofty said...

Congrats on the press screening - that's super keen!

Reel Fanatic said...

I'm pretty excited, Salome .. I used to get into them all the time way back when I was in college at UGA, and then I didn't even have to write anything!

Reel Fanatic said...

Thanks, Ryan ... I was pleasantly surprised to learn the Telegraph will let me expense the gas for the drive to Atlanta

J.D. said...

I never thought as a manly man that I would ever like Gilmore Girls, but I cannot get enough of it, and I've watched every episode.

I've had my doubts about the upcoming season. Thanks for easing my mind!

Reel Fanatic said...

What man can't love the Gilmore Girls, J.D.? .. It's got the hottest chicas on TV, along with the best storylines

jeremy said...

I've had to quell many a grown man's fear of loving the Gilmore Girls, luckily, this article from Esquire reaffirms my statements.

Reel Fanatic said...

That article was very funny along with being dead right .. thanks, Jeremy

Unknown said...

Oooo. I'm excited to hear how the movie is. I actually want to see this one!

Reel Fanatic said...

I'll have something up by tomorrow morning, Marina, but I will say for now that I enjoyed it quite a bit .. much more to come!

M-M-M-Mishy said...

Ok, that was exactly what I needed while I cope with my Gilmore Girls withdrawal. Luke has become a weenie. He deserves to lose her to Christopher after the way he acted. My favourite character has always been Jess. He was just so bad!

Reel Fanatic said...

Jess was indeed a great character, Mishy, and was key to why season 6 felt like a wash ... he showed up, had changed so much, and Rory just blew him off .. simply painful to watch

Anonymous said...

As far as Luke goes, this character got unrealistic as soon as he "gave up" on his relationship with Lorelai just because her parents didnt approve. You would think that somebody who has been walking around with a piece of paper for 8 years from the person he is in love with, wouldnt give up so easely. Dean didnt give up on his relationship with Rory. Ever since Luke broke up with Lorelai I much rather had this character written out of the show. All the characters used to be well rounded which of course added to the quality of the show. Rory taking time off from yale is a very good example of how the people in the show become more and more unrealistic. I would prefer the show to end now the memories of it are still thrilling rather than it to become some sort of Melrose Place just because Palladino is not allowed to write what she wants.

Andy said...

Gilmore Girls on the surface is about relationships. The relationship between Lorelai and her teen daughter Rory is at center stage but their other relationships are shown.Catch all eps Download Gilmore Girl Free here...

marria said...

Nice blog and thanks adele for sharing this beautiful site here. I got here all my favorite shows and from here we can also watch all shows online here..