Tuesday, June 01, 2010

A black Spider-Man? Hell yeah! Plus, "Scott Pilgrim" vs. the rest of the summer

I pledged to myself a few weeks ago that I wouldn't join any more groups on Facebook. I mean when you're a member of something as life-alteringly important as "Keep Rex Daisy on the 1st Ave. Wall", where else is there to go?

There are still a few things, however, I find interesting enough to latch onto without being asked to by friends like radio DJ and former Rex Daisy member Jason Nagel (though I'm afraid I'm considering dropping my Orioles feed, because, frankly, I'm not sure I can take the daily reminder that, yes, they've managed to lose another game.) And Donald Glover as Spider-Man? There's something I can get behind.

When it was first announced that Sam Raimi had quit the "Spider-Man" franchise and later that the entire cast would be jettisoned in favor of a reboot, that's when I lost just about all interest. Even when "500 Days of Summer" director Marc Webb was announced as the helmer of this project, it still didn't make it anything but a bad idea in my mind.

Given all that, how can you get me interested again? Well, how about a black Peter Parker for starters, and why the hell not? Especially since "Community" star Glover, who has launched his own lobbying campaign to at least get the chance to audition for the role, would be just about perfect for it. If you watch "Community" you know he's a funny guy, and he's certainly the right age for this. And you can tell from the eagerness he brings to this that he's clearly a Spider-Man fan.

So, you can count me as entirely on board with this idea, which would at least make the notion of a new "Spider-Man" franchise more stomachable (and yes, I'm well aware that's probably not an actual word.) If you're a twitter kind of person, you can sign on to #donald4spiderman, which apparently was the "third highest trending" feed (whatever the hell that means) on Monday night. Or, if you're a rube like me who resists Twitter, you can sign on to his facebook page here (and trust me, it's at least worth a visit if only to see the hilarious photos of him as Spidey in various poses.)

I've just moved "Mystery Team," which Glover stars in and wrote along with his DERRICK comedy cohorts, to the top of my Netflix queue, but it tells me there will be a "short wait" for it, so who knows when that will be coming.

All I've got except for that today is the second trailer I know of for "Scott Pilgrim Vs. the World," and it's even better than the first one. It looks like Edgar Wright has simply put together a really fun and funny movie that will hopefully breathe some life into what has so far just been a disastrous movie summer when it finally comes out in August. Enjoy, and have a perfectly passable Tuesday. Peace out.

1 comment:

Gallardo said...

Army) and George Steinbrenner (Baseball Executive, Businessman/ Former General's Aid, U.S. You will need to defend from infrequent raids of enemy units from the south that are mainly only difficult to manage with your forces still in small numbers early on. Serve with egg noodles, rice, or boiled potatoes.