Friday, August 21, 2009

Trailer trifecta, and why I feel like Larry David far too often

I considered leading with the rather depressing information (well, I guess I did) that Bryan Singer now has nothing better than to do than a '70s TV update ("Battlestar Galactica," and not the nifty version that just ended on Syfy, or whatever it's called now) and a remake of "Excalibur," because lord know that's just what the world needs.

But I really have nothing to say about that, so since it's Friday, let's just get to a trio of fun trailers and a look at the preview for "Curb Your Enthusiasm." First up is the trailer for Joe Johnston's take on "The Wolfman," which I have to say just looks about 100 times better than I could have possibly expected (especially since I expected it to be a big ball of shite.) It looks like a a real, old-fashioned horror flick, and I'm sure Benicio del Toro will be great, so enjoy.



Next up comes the return of Michael Moore with "Capitalism, A Love Story," which, despite my strong belief that "Sicko" was nearly a complete failure, is a good thing in my book. He's threatened to stop making documentaries after this one, and if so, I guess it's good that he's going out by taking on nothing less than our entire capitalist economy. Enjoy the trailer, courtesy of CNN.



And next is the trailer for James Cameron's "Avatar." I have to say, not being a fan of 3-D in just about any form, I'm not particularly excited about this one, but it is a sci-fi movie from Cameron and his first flick in many years, so I guess I'll be there in December. Enjoy the trailer.



What I am rather excited about is that Larry David's "Curb Your Enthusiasm" is set to return to HBO on Sept. 20. As the clip below summarizes rather brilliantly, Larry's life is a constant ball of frustration, which I can certainly sympathize with, especially last night when I found out that, even though Macon is a notorious walk-up town, the Drive-By Truckers show was somehow sold out (yes, I know I should have bought a ticket in advance, but I waffled about spending $25 for it until the very end - obviously no one's fault but my own.)

Anyways, enjoy the preview, and have a great weekend. For me, that will mean Quentin Tarantino's "Inglourious Basterds" on Saturday and then catching up on "District 9" on Sunday - my definition of a perfect weekend. Peace out.

4 comments:

jeremy said...

Boo! Sorry to hear you missed your band!

Reel Fanatic said...

It's my own stupid fault ... If I wasn't a)so poor and b) so wishy-washy, we would have had tickets way in advance

The Kid In The Front Row said...

Thanks for putting these clips on your blog, I have been craving some new 'Curb..' for a long time, and that clip was just hilarious!

As for the Michael Moore film, well -- I hadn't even heard of this. Where have I been? It's funny, I'm kinda over Michael Moore, he's a one-trick pony, but that said.. I'm in the mood for it, looking forward to seeing Capitalism now.

Great blog.

Reel Fanatic said...

Thanks, Kid in the Front Row ... As for Michael Moore, I was with him until "Sicko," which I thought was just about useless ... Before that, he almost lost me when he harassed poor Charlton Heston, too, but I'm certainly on board to see what he has to say about all the mess were in now