Sunday, February 01, 2009

One thing you definitely will see during tonight's Super Bowl

First off, ahearty huzzah to Danny Boyle, who was the big winner at last night's Directors Guild of America awards for "Slumdog Millionaire." Unless "Milk" somehow pulls an upset, this sets up a big Oscar night coming for Boyle and friends, and that would certainly be fine with me.

And today I'm off to see "Taken" before going to watch the Super Bowl with some good friends of mine (and I made one of my very favorite dishes, Holly Clegg's crispy Southwestern lasagna.)

Along with the football, of course, the ads get almost as much attention, and this year there will be a lot of spots for movies. A lot of them ("Land of the Lost"!?!?) I couldn't care less about, but one, Harold Ramis' "The Year One," is definitely worth staying in your seat for.

With Ramis writing and directing his first flick since "Analyze That" (OK, not the best of movies), this is certainly a reason for comedy fans to celebrate. Jack Black, Michael Cera, Paul Rudd and David Cross all make an appearance in the clip below, and many other funny people will be on board for the tale of two hunters (Black and Cera) roaming the earth in biblical times. Black has promised something in the style of "Monty Python's Life of Brian," and while I'm sure it can't meet that high standard, I'm still betting this is going to be very funny.

Enjoy the Super Bowl spot and the big game itself. Monday morning I have friggin' jury duty for the first time in my life, so if anyone has any legal strategies to get out of it, please let me know!

4 comments:

Bob said...

Yeah, comparing yourself to Python is going to make you look pale by comparison, but man, that movie looks sweet!

Reel Fanatic said...

It does indeed, Bob ... The stuff with Jack Black and large animals is just old after "Tropic Thunder," but Cross and Rudd are hilarious

Anonymous said...

The Crispy Southwestern Lasagna is one of my favorites...for an easy and another favorite...try Quick Chicken Lasagna....on my website!

Holly Clegg

Reel Fanatic said...

Wow ... A visit from my favorite cookbook author ... This is indeed a weird world! ... I did indeed make the Crispy lasagna dish, and it was a hit