Monday, April 03, 2006

"Simpsons" movie


Some of you who went to see "Ice Age: The Meltdown" this weekend (and I'm pretty sure, looking at the box office numbers, I'm the only one in America who didn't) got big news about "The Simpsons" movie.

It's been rumored for years,and Harry Shearer recently let loose some tidbits about working on it, but the teaser trailer attached to some prints of "Meltdown" finally confirms it will be released July 7, 2007. It was shown again during sunday night's episode, and you can see it by clicking on "The Simpsons" above.

I've been wary of this project because, although I love "The Simpsons" (and my DVD collection can prove it), I'm just not sure there's just enough juice in the tank to fill a two-hour movie. This season, it often seems they can't come up with an idea good enough to sustain a half hour (though it was great to see Ricky Gervais recently.)

For the moment, though, I'm just pretty geeked up about the whole thing, just as I am about opening day for my beloved Orioles.


Here's a synopsis for the one other person who might have missed it: Playing off the hype for "Superman Returns," we slowly zoom in on a giant S, eventually finding out its on Homer's T-shirt. Sitting in his familiar spot on the couch, he says "I forgot what I was supposed to say," then the narrator intones "'The Simpsons Movie,' coming to the screen, July 27, 2007."

"Uh, oh," said Homer, "we better get started."

Indeed. Nothing too revealing except the date, but pretty funny stuff. Though I'm rapidly exceeding the target demographic for animated TV shows, like most white males, I just can't get enough of them. My current fav is the reincarnated "Family Guy," but I'll always have love for "The Simpsons." Let's just hope they don't somehow screw this up.

In slightly tangential news, my brother, a devoted Maakies fan as we all should be, reported (well, it was news to me, anyway) that Tony Millionaire is working on bringing Drinky Crow and his other creations to TV's "Adult Swim."

Maakies is just about the funniest thing I've ever seen in a comic strip, but far too profane to share in this site which is linked from a family newspaper like The Telegraph. But, if your sensibility can take it, click here and enjoy.

And, remember, Baltimore kicks off the season today at 1 p.m. with Rodrigo Lopez facing the Tampa Bay Devil Rays. Play ball.

6 comments:

Reel Fanatic said...

I remember well that the A's were in Baltimore for opening day ... one of the few pleasant moments from an abysmal season!

Will said...

Excited about the Simpsons movie, but more excited about opening day. More beloved wear a different orange and black, however.

Reel Fanatic said...

I'll let that Yankees comment go because, well, you kick our ass on a regular basis, so what can I really say .. can only assume Will, that you are a partisan of the Giants .. Man, do I love baseball

AnonymousBlogger said...

I also wonder if the Simpsons movie will be as good as we all hope.

Can it be? Judging by the last few seasons, the answer would seem to be no. But I hope I'm wrong.

Hard to say how Baltimore will do this year. They're in a tough division. If Tejada keeps his mouth shut, they have a chance to put up a decent win total.

Anonymous said...

Cool.
Movie Ringtone Voices Trailer

deeshays said...

go to these guys Bottega Veneta Dolabuy my review here navigate to this site you could try here look at this site