Wednesday, April 20, 2011

Totoro+Ponyo=pure bliss, plus a small clip show


I'd love to give credit for this cartoon, but I really have no idea who made it. I do know, however, that even without any words, it's simply adorable, and perfect for a Wednesday morning.

And even better than that, a click on Hayao Miyazaki's name at the IMDB reveals he's now listed as directing a sequel to my favorite of his, "Porco Rosso," titled "Porco Rosso: The Last Sortie." Bully. (And to see the cartoon in all its glory, simply click on it a few times to see it really embiggened).

I should probably just stop there, because I really don't think anything can top that cartoon, but I'll try. Next Thursday, I'm off to the Atlanta Film Festival, and hopefully with a ticket to see "Terri," the opening night movie (I won't find out what comes with my press pass until I get there, unfortunately.) As you'll see from the trailer below, the movie, directed by Azazel Jacobs and starring Jacob Wysocki, John C. Reilly and even Creed Bratton of "The Office," is about an outcast, just about my favorite kind of flick. Enjoy.



I sure wish I got BBC America, because after getting a copy of the latest "Doctor Who" Christmas special from Collider.com, I'm really jonesing for more. Season six comes to the network on Saturday night, if you're lucky enough to get it, and just in case you needed a refresher course on the history of the good doctor and his exploits, the Fine brothers are here to help, and this is really funny stuff. Enjoy.



And speaking of funny, there really is no better place to end up today than with this Funny or Die "trailer" for a Monopoly movie. This would be even funnier without the depressing reality that there really will be a Monopoly movie, but even with that sad fact, this is really hilarious stuff. Enjoy, and have a perfectly passable Wednesday. Peace out.

2 comments:

Kevin said...

I’m just catching up after a week away from your blog, and I must thank you for the clip from the Fine brothers. I wouldn’t have thought it possible to cover 47 years in six minutes, but they did, and I enjoyed it very much. It sure brought back memories, and was a great primer for Saturday’s new season premier. I’m not sure what jonesing is, but I will save the Doctor on my DVR, if it helps.

At least you have the Atlanta Film Festival to look forward to. I know you will enjoy that. I will look forward to seeing what you come back with. This weekend we have “Water for Elephants”, although only at Am Star. What is up with the Edge?

Thanks, too, for the “Submarine” trailer. That appeals to me as well (but, as you said, probably not in Macon). And I will look for “Rocket Science” already. Have a great weekend!

Reel Fanatic said...

I just checked the Edge, too, Kevin, and can't understand why in the world they're not showing that ... An even bigger mystery is why even the AmStar is only showing "Water for Elephants" four times a day, but the "Madea" movie, without exaggeration, at least 15 times ... Don't get me wrong, I love Tyler Perry and I'll see that, but it's just ludicrous