Thursday, March 10, 2011

HBO books a "Game Change," and finds its Sarah Palin

Back in 2008, it certainly didn't seem at the time to on paper be exactly the winning formula for a top-shelf political movie. A script from "Buffy the Vampire Slayer" and "Gilmore Girls" regular Danny Strong, directed by Jay Roach, purveyor of the broadest kind of big-screen comedies?

Anyone who's seen "Recount," their HBO movie about the rather memorable 2000 U.S. presidential election, however, knows (or at least I do) that it was a surprisingly smart, funny and very entertaining political flick, with Laura Dern's sublime performance as Katherine Harris as the very sweet cherry on top.

Now, the two of them are teaming up again for a political flick with even better source material, John Heilemann and Mark Halperin's tome about the 2008 presidential election, "Game Change: Obama and the Clintons, McCain and Palin, and the Race of a Lifetime," and wisely simply shortened the title to "Game Change." And they've lined up an intriguing choice to play the most colorful character, Sarah Palin.

Julianne Moore (not Tina Fey) will play the never-boring former candidate for vice president, and assuming she can avoid the battle with bad accents she played out on "30 Rock," she should be great in this. No word yet on the rest of the cast or exactly when this will hit TV, but since this intrigues me, I'm almost certain to pass it on when I find it.

I read a pretty good deal of political books, and can attest that "Game Change" is one of the very best in the genre, so definitely bring this on!

And all I have after that today is the first trailer I know of for "Bad Teacher" the upcoming comedy starring Cameron Diaz, Justin Timberlake, Jason Segel and, thankfully, Phyllis from "The Office," too. Frankly, it doesn't look all that promising, but since it comes from director Jake Kasdan ("The TV Set," "Walk Hard: The Dewey Cox Story" and, way back in the day, "Freaks and Geeks," too), I'm holding out hope it will be a whole lot funnier than I'm expecting when it drops June 24. Enjoy the trailer, and have a perfectly pleasant Thursday. Peace out.

10 comments:

wilson said...

i think Julianne Moore will justice with her role in the upcoming movie"game change"
Oscar-nominated actress Julianne Moore will portray the former Alaska governor in the project, which will chronicle Palin's burst into the national scene as a surprise vice presidential candidate in 2008.

Jake Mabe said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Jake Mabe said...

"Game Change" is one of the best political books I've read in awhile. The film's creative team has a high bar to reach, but if they do, it will be a heck of a movie.

Reel Fanatic said...

Get "Recount" on DVD if you can find it, Jake, and I think you'll be confident that this will be a great movie ... For a TV flick, that one is really first-rate

Jake Mabe said...

Funny you should say that. After reading your blog earlier today, I quickly dropped "Recount" into my Netflix queue. I'll let you know what I think...

Anonymous said...

I read Game Change awhile agao. Although it was interesting I think they oversold it. Nothing really new in there, was hoping for something more scandalous.

Intrinsic said...

I read Game Change awhile ago. Although it was interesting I think they oversold it. Nothing really new in there, was hoping for something more scandalous.

http://theintrinsicvalue.com

Reel Fanatic said...

I agree with you that it's not the most revealing of political reads, Cary, but I just like the style of it, and they had enough access for me to read it very quickly and thoroughly enjoy it

Unknown said...

hop over to this web-site replica bags wholesale Dior Dolabuy replica bags paypal accepted he said replica bags korea

Unknown said...

l8g32x8l18 t2e36c4g18 p1x65d7l41 w8u20g0l80 f4c54m5s33 z4o49g0z02