Friday, October 02, 2009

For Friday, a trio of fun trailers

"Great question, Doris. I haven't really had to drop trou much. Easy or hard not about age, more about who's in the scene with you"

I don't tweet or twit or whatever its called, and I'm certain I never will, but the medium does occasionally produce some real gems, like the above post from Edward Norton, which I would have to assume was in response to something along the lines of "is it difficult to film sex scenes?" but really works better when it just stands alone.

After that, however, it's right into what can't be called anything approaching good news, so please remember I'm just the messenger here. I've had "Let the Right One In" on my brain quite a bit for the past few days, mostly because I like thinking about movies a whole lot more than I do anything resembling work, but also because the Macon Film Guild will be offering a special Halloween eve screening of it Oct. 30 at the Douglass Theatre at 7 and 9:30 p.m. I'll be at the 7 p.m. showing myself.

But in unfortunately related news, it seems that easily one of my favorite actors will be joining the cast of what's now also easily the most thoroughly unnecessary remake (though there's obviously plenty of competition) of all time, Matt Reeves' "Let Me In." It seems that Richard Jenkins has landed the choice role (at least it would have been in the original) of Hakan (or whatever the hell the character will be named now), the adult who cares for the seemingly 12-year-old vampire Eli.

The kids in the remake, who thankfully will be actual kids (though that won't be enough to get me to go see it in January 2010, I promise), are two actors I had never heard of: Kodi Smit-McPhee in the role of Americanized Oscar and Chloe Moretz in the role of Americanized Eli. Though this all truly sickens me, it obviously also holds some kind of morbid fascination about how low Hollywood will sink to prove it has no original ideas left. I'll close this topic with some wise words from "Let the Right One In" director Tomas Alfredson on the prospect of a remake:

"When I first heard about it I sort of got jealous. The most saddening thing is that the American audience cannot accept foreign language films. But if they find something new in this material it would be interesting to see. However, if they destroy it, I don't have to go and see it."

And in a true bit of weirdness, it seems that "Freaks and Geeks" star James Franco (he'll always be known that way around here, and believe me, it's meant as nothing but a compliment) is returning to TV - on "General Hospital."

No, I couldn't make that up even if I tried. It seems that Franco will play a "mystery person" (is there really any other kind on soap operas?) beginning Nov. 20, with the recurring role lasting for TWO MONTHS.

My first response to all that was I guess a guy's gotta eat, but in the end, I suppose he's probably gonna have a lot of fun with this, so I guess I can only say bully to that.

And one thing I can always say bully to is the soundtrack for a Wes Anderson movie. The best one he's put together so far would have to be for also my favorite Anderson flick, "The Royal Tenenbaums." From the Ramones' "Judy is a Punk" playing behind the montage that exposes Margot's wayward ways to the pair of Rolling Stones songs, "She Smiles Sweetly" and "Ruby Tuesday," that bookend the story of Margot and Richie's illicit love, it all just gels perfectly with the flick. Heck, even one Anderson movie I really just can't stand, "The Life Aquatic with Steve Zissou," spawned a truly fun collection of David Bowie tunes performed in Portuguese by Seu Jorge.

I tell you all that to tell you this: The track listing is now out for Anderson's next flick, "Fantastic Mr. Fox," set to open wide Nov. 25. The soundtrack itself will come out, if I'm not mistaken, Nov. 3, and it features the usual assortment of oddities, plus a lot of work from composer Alexandre Desplat and a new tune from britpopper Jarvis Cocker, who also stars in the movie. Here's the track listing:

1. American Empirical Pictures - Alexandre Desplat
2. The Ballad of Davy Crockett - The Wellingtons
3. Mr. Fox in the Fields - Alexandre Desplat
4. Heroes and Villains - Beach Boys
5. Fooba Wooba John - Burl Ives
6. Bogus, Bunce and Bean - Alexandre Desplat
7. Jimmy Squirrel and Co. - Alexandre Desplat
8. Love - Nancy Adams
9. Buckeye Jim - Burl Ives
10. High-Speed French Train - Alexandre Desplat
11. Whack Bat Majorette - Alexandre Desplat
12. The Grey Goose - Burl Ives
13. Bean's Secret Cider Cellar - Alexandre Desplat
14. Une Petite Ile - Georges Delerue
15. Street Fighting Man - Rolling Stones
16. Fantastic Mr. Fox AKA Petey's Song - Jarvis Cocker
17. Night and Day - Art Tatum
18. Kristofferson's Theme - Alexandre Desplat
19. Just Another Dead Rat in a Garbage Pail (Behind A Chinese Restaurant) - Alexandre Desplat
20. Le Grand Choral - Georges Delerue
21. Great Harrowsford Square - Alexandre Desplat
23. Stunt Expo 2004 - Alexandre Desplat - Alexandre Desplat
23. Canis Lupus - Alexandre Desplat
24. Ol' Man River - The Beach Boys
25. Let Her Dance - Bobby Fuller Four

OK, after that admittedly very long intro, here are the three promised trailers. Actually, the first one is instead a 5-minute stretch of Roland Emmerich's "2012," which as you'll see is gonna wreak all kinds of destruction when it comes out Nov. 13. No matter how old I get, I think I'll always have a soft spot for seeing things "blowed up real good," and when you do it on the scale Emmerich is unleashing here and throw in a constantly yelling John Cusack, yes, I'm there. Enjoy.



It's been forever since I've seen a good Chinese action epic, so I'll definitely be there too for "Red Cliff," the Westernized condensing of John Woo's two-part movie about the Battle of Red Cliffs, assuming it plays anywhere near me when it also comes out Nov. 13. The two-part original has already taken in the highest domestic gross in Chinese history (taking down "Titanic" there), so hopefully that has earned it the right to play everywhere here. Enjoy the trailer.



And finally, to class things up a bit, here's the second trailer for Jason Reitman's "Up in the Air," which stars George Clooney and just might have the biggest awards season buzz as that begins. The release date has been moved around a bit, but if I have this right, it will now be limited on Nov. 13 and wide on Nov. 25. As you can see from this new clip, Anna Kendrick, another definite favorite around here, also has a big part in this, so huzzah to that. Enjoy.



And now, if you'll excuse me I'm off to see "Zombieland" before I go to work a half-day (hey, you have to do something to make the most of crappy furloughs.) Here's hoping it's as funny as I'm expecting, and that everyone has a great weekend. Peace out.

3 comments:

Chalupa said...

Do you think 2012 will be good? I saw that 5 minute spot and got really bored with it. What are its redeeming factors? Why should I be excited?

Reel Fanatic said...

I think "good will be a very generous term, Chalupa, but I am hoping that it will be a lot of fun ... I've been wrong many times before, though, and it's highly likely to happen again ... I liked the first "Transformers" movie quite a bit,if that let's you know by what standard I would judge a flick like this

Chalupa said...

I totally know what you're talking about. Some movies I like just because. Doesn't matter if the plot was good, if the story made sense, if the acting was worth anything, etc. Sometimes I just like it and don't know why.