Saturday, June 20, 2009

A Cool Coens gathering in Macon, and the bizarro future of "Scrubs"

I don't think I'll ever be particularly good at social networking or understand the real use of Facebook beyond an amusing diversion, but it finally came through at least slightly last night.

Sitting at home on a Friday night watching the Braves blow out the BoSox (fairly pathetic I know, but entertaining all the same), I decided to check the facebook, blog, etc., and got this interesting post from my friend and boss Stephanie Hartley.

It seems that some group in Macon called the College Hill Corridor Commission, while being far from the most organized folks in town, are fans both of great (or at least extremely funny) movies and showing them outside, hence a rather cool happening Sunday night less than a mile from my house.

The original plan, which would have made me just say meh, was to show some version of "Shrek" this Sunday night. Well, thankfully, but with little notice, they've changed both the movie, "Raising Arizona" (huzzah!), and the venue, to Tattnall Square Park. There are few better communal movie viewing experiences than watching a very funny flick with a hopefully large group of people, so come and check it out this Sunday starting at 8 p.m.

But here today it's largely about a deliriously silly comedy that might appeal to people who might just not live within 20 minutes or so of my house, "Scrubs," which is somehow headed for a ninth season on ABC, but apparently in radically different form.

Before I launch into it, credit for all this goes to the seriously TV-obsessed Michael Ausiello of Entertainment Weekly, who got the goods in an interview with "Scrubs" creator Bill Lawrence.

Now, we already know that the core stars, Zach Braff and Sarah Chalke, will be back for very limited runs at best (and worst of all, Neil Flynn's delightfully deranged janitor will not be back at all), so to fill this void, Lawrence has come up a change of venue of sorts.

When the show returns next winter, John C. McGinley and Donald Faison will be the principal stars (in no way at all a bad thing), and they will now become med-school professors rather than active doctors. Take that in for a moment.

Actually, if you think about it, it makes a lot of sense. Since you have to start with a whole new crop of players, why not make them students and shake things much more than a bit? Anyone who tuned in for the truncated eighth season earlier this year will probably agree with me that the new crop of doctors shared only one trait: They were uniformly unfunny. So I guess they realized it's time for at least a gallon of new blood.

And besides, for classroom comedies, Lawrence at least seems to have his source material right. As he told Ausiello:

"It'll be a lot like Paper Chase as a comedy, It's going to be a different show. It'll still be life-and-death stakes, but if the show is just Scrubs again in the hospital with a different person's voiceover, it would be a disaster and people would be mad."

He said Sacred Heart wouldn't go away completely, since it will still be the show's base of operations and allow familiar faces to return from time to time, but it's still almost a complete change of course, and since "Scrubs" has defied death many times now, it's certainly not of me to doubt its creators.

And with that, I'll simply leave you with the trailer for the October flick "Zombieland," because what Saturday morning isn't at least a little bit better with a funny dose of zombies? Enjoy, and have a great weekend. Peace out.

8 comments:

Jim Marquis said...

Zombieland looks really fun. I think the genre is pretty much played out except for humor.

Terence Towles Canote said...

Darn. Neil Flynn won't be back on Scrubs?! The janitor was my favourite character.

Reel Fanatic said...

Mine too, Mr. Mercurie ... He's apparently starring on some kind of sitcom where he's married to Patricia Heaton, so that will probably get canceled fast enough that he could still come back for a few episodes on the back end of the next "Scrubs" season

Ryan McNeil said...

I'm kinda conflicted on whether or not I'll continue watching Scrubs. Last season seemed to tie off a lot of the storylines, and you're right...that "new class" was wickedly unfunny.

Perhaps I'll give it an episode or two "just cuz"...

Reel Fanatic said...

The firing of every new member of the cast, assuming that's what really happened, is enough to get me to come back, Mad Hatter ... Plus, I think the show might also be improved without so many Braff voice overs

Anonymous said...

I love listening to music from my iPod while I'm on the move, be it on the bus, the retainers, or justified while doing groceries. On the side of that reason, I every time necessity a good twosome of stereo earphones with me, and of way on some days I'd like my earphones to be an whistles, where I tournament it with my equipage for the benefit of that day. So I buy a up of deviser earphone every other month. Recently, I bought the [url=http://www.dealtoworld.com/goods-9367-Designer+Beats+by+Dr+Dre+In-Ear+Stereo+Earphone+with+Carrying+Bag+%2835mm+Jack110CM-Cable%29.html]Designer Beats by Dr. Dre In-Ear Stereo Earphone with Carrying Bag (3.5mm Jack/110CM-Cable)[/url] from DealtoWorld.com in their Speakers & Earphones section. DealtoWorld.com has develop my default online shopping instal that I smite generally to come by whatever I may need. Flourishing to the DIY store or the mall has transform into relatively less pleasurable than browsing through the extensive variety of things at DealtoWorld.com. I would also like to outfit stereo speakers chestnut day exchange for my home.

These interior decorator beats that I bought comes with a carrying dialect poke, which makes the author earphone really convenient to depend on and carry. I've uploaded a couple of pictures of the draughtsman stereo earphone and the carrying vocation so you can comprehend what comes with the earphone launch I bought from [url=http://www.dealtoworld.com]DealtoWorld.com[/url].

On some days, I'd like to listen to good music with a mighty bass, so I also do ordain in good pairs of stereo earphone like Sennheiser. They're not so much plotter beats, but absolutely considerate looking for getting into the music. Although the author beats I bought from DealtoWorld.com is not a clear-cut brand like Sennheiser or Sony, it does stationary block out of pocket outside blast, making in search listening pleasure. The style the designer earphone contours nearly the ears also makes on the side of easy wear, and the permissible stuff back the Artist Beats past Dr. Dre In-Ear Stereo Earphone with Carrying Bag (3.5mm Jack/110CM-Cable) I bought from DealtoWorld.com is that it comes with multiple sizes of notice tips and spare ear buds. These things are hard to manage so I'm ready the originator beats came with it. I can utilize these ear tips and buds on my other pairs of earphone too. The carrying jump at is of speed a pre-eminent gratuity for easy storage and portability.

I like to double this pair of creator beats at near Dr. Dre with my pink spaghetti strap and drained shorts, I reckon it goes well with this outfit. While waiting in queues or waiting for the treatment of a pen-pal suited for a lunch selection, I play my favorite Wire-tap Tapping Major change pretend on my iPod Touch with this brace of stereo earphone. The visible rumbling gets blocked in sight so cooked through, and coupled with the authoritatively engrossing eavesdrop on tournament, I don't even make out when my associate arrives! Agreeable, that's what a good pair of stereo earphone should do, I believe. Come what may, I do appoint it a sense to release inseparable earphone abroad of my notice whenever I irritated the passage, or when I'm walking on a comparatively solitary road. This I do instead of security reasons. I steady wouldn't yearn for to sway into an accessory or be in abuse's road objective because I was wearing my inventor stereo earphone and couldn't be told liable to be make a proposal to my way.

Anonymous said...

Pray this page definitely is the best page to contribute this... I simply just hoped to inform people using the forum who resides in Australia know about a very good top quality audio visual equipment internet business identified as Ordio. I discovered them actually by accident when I was shopping around for [url=http://www.ordio.com.au]Sennheiser Headphones[/url] and it just so happened that these people had the least expensive prices in the market. Not only that but they are amazingly helpful and even followed up on my purchase to be sure that I was still satisfied and content. They actually buy out large inventories of home entertainment electronics so that they can ultimately break the price down. Most certainly visit their site if you're taking a look for some home electronics.

Al

Anonymous said...

In 2006, Heyer graduated with a degree in criminal justice and criminology from Maryland University They traded a Amazing Offer of Worth for Previous Denver Broncos quarterBack again Jay Cutler, and they Have been Assumeing him to be the Last Item of the puzzle to return the Company to Getting a contenderUniversity Ranking Information:National University of Singapore (NUS) is ranked 33 in the Times Higher Education Supplements World University Rankings 2007 It could be challenging to keep on rooting about your team when the time of year endsD But most of the genuine ones come really expensive and not everyone can afford them
All shoes come with original box, retro card, label etc My bikes are 100% new parts and will not say that new outer kits(cables), wiring, locks carburettors, bearing seals etcetc because it looks stupid and only people who mension that are people who re-cycle parts in their bikes my bikes have 100% brand new parts period You can choose to not publicize anybody article or to only publicize on the particular interpersonal advertising siteAnd it is white sleeve clothes, there is a small blue stars, socks and article 2 above white stripe of blue Can you help more users to post your answers for hot jerseys on sale now
Of course you can see that cheap jerseys from China are just like any other product you can find in the market, it will be available at different prices in different stores, so you need to look around before you can find the best store who could give you the best jerseys for cheap price Manchester United's official explanation is the fact that Fletcher still have to remain in Carrington base for recovery treatment, the Scots skipped all of the summer time warm-up match Manchester U f you are getting prepared for the next football time of the year, then buying at amazingly reduced prices They are in the top five when it comes to our all-natural rawhide chews and rawhide treats, along with Labs, Goldens, Boxers and, surprisingly, Pugs which came in at 24 on the AKC list Green, they patiently waited for the QB they wanted (unlike some teams), and got a great value in Andy DaltonIndeed there are different types of new jerseys for female and male respectively If you are a fan of Oakland Raiders and wear a , you should be proud of it

[url=http://www.nikebroncosjersey.com/nike-champ-bailey-womens-jersey]Champ Bailey White Jersey[/url]
[url=http://www.officialtexansfanstore.com/brian-cushing-jersey-cheap]Brian Cushing Texans Jersey[/url]
[url=http://www.nikebroncosjersey.com/nike-peyton-manning-womens-jersey]Peyton Manning Youth Jersey[/url]