Thursday, June 12, 2008

Major Emmy nominations for "Battlestar Galactica"? Why the frak not?


Garnering attention for a sci-fi show - even one as sensational as "Battlestar Galactica" - from the Academy of Television Arts and Sciences would seem to be the definition of a lost cause, but just in case I have some hidden pull I don't know about I'm gonna make the case anyway.

In general, I pay a lot less attention to the Emmys than I do the Oscars. Don't get me wrong: I watch at least as much TV as the average human being, though NEVER any reality programming, but I just can't get seem to get amped for the Emmys.

I will, however, check out the nominations list when it's announced July 10 to see if "Battlestar" does indeed manage to find some unexpected love, and not just in the sound and visual effects categories it has attracted attention in thus far.

One reason I really never care about the Emmys, however, is the voters have a rather amazing record of ignoring what are obviously the best shows on TV. As far as I know, "The Wire," "Friday Night Lights" and "Buffy the Vampire Slayer" have, between them, a total of only three Emmys, with "The Wire" only even being nominated once for the writing on the Season 3 episode "Middle Ground." (And I won't even get into the single biggest Emmy snub of all time, the inability to give Lauren Graham even one nomination for her superb work on "Gilmore Girls.")

My rather long-winded point is the deck would seem to be stacked very high against "Battlestar," but luckily its creators don't seem to know that or refuse to believe it. If you go to any movie trade paper sites or the IMDB, you'll inevitably be slapped in the face by a pop-up ad touting the show for Emmy consideration.

And why the frak not? It's clearly the smartest drama on cable or network TV right now, with "Mad Men," "Pushing Daisies" and "Friday Night Lights" close at its heels. In it's strongly serialized story lines, it takes on the issue of what it's like to live in a state of almost constant fear in our post-9/11 world. And, of course, it delivers all this punctuated with the space battles us geeks so sorely need.

And the acting, throughout, is just first-rate. Edward James Olmos, who obviously has a long history in film and television, has just taken over the role of Admiral William Adama to make it his most memorable one of all. I was surprised to find he had already won one Emmy, surely well deserved, for Best Supporting Actor for his work on "Miami Vice." The man certainly merits at least one more nomination.

As for the women, Katee Sackhoff as Kara Thrace and Mary McDonnell as President Roslin are certainly also worthy of Emmy attention, and the writing, be it by Ronald Moore, David Eick, Jane Espenson or another talented member of the staff, is also first-rate.

Though it's probably not gonna happen, the timing for some major-category Emmy attention for "Battlestar Galactica" would be just about right. With the show reaching the midpoint of its fourth and final season tomorrow night, it's high time to shower it with some serious Emmy love before it ends its very entertaining run next year. Peace out.

16 comments:

Jim Marquis said...

I think this show deserves consideration for an Emmy.

The thing I've always hated about the Emmys is how they honor episodes instead of the series as a whole.

Terence Towles Canote said...

Admittedly I haven't seen much of BG, but I think I would rather see Pushing Daisies walk away with the top awards. It is easily my favourite show right now.

Reel Fanatic said...

Pushing Daisies is indeed great, Mercurie, but I can't recommend highly enough getting caught up with Battlestar Galactica on DVD .. it's just an amazing show

Nuri said...

Battlestar Galactica is my top show. Dexter and Lost are great too... (but finished?)

jeremy said...

Man, wish I could get behind you on this one, RF, but BSG is the show I cringe the most watching these days.
What used to be subtle allegory has turned into soap operatic drivel with Baltar and Roslin chewing scenery, Adama the elder's stoicism bordering parody, Adama the younger hardly having any presence at all (remember when he was just a hotshot pilot who wanted to win his dad's affection?) and Katee Sackhoff is just a really limited actress. The only one who I think is doing good job right now is Tricia Helfer--and go figure, cuz she was pretty abysmal in seasons 1 & 2.
When the show first came on, I told everyone I know to watch it. By the end of season 3, I wouldn't even admit to watching it any more.
Now, the only thing I can look forward to is the end.

Reel Fanatic said...

I'm still surprised by how much you dislike this one, Jeremy, but I guess we just have to agree to disagree (politely, of course!) ... I'm just glad that "Mad Men" is coming back quickly to fill the void now that BSG is going on its midseason break

jeremy said...

Yippie! Mad Men is coming back soon!
Was it just me or did the first season seem kinda short?
Hopefully the second won't be now that it's won some awards.

Reel Fanatic said...

I can't remember off the top of my head how many episodes there were, jeremy, but maybe they're modeling it after a HBO kinda season of only 13 episodes or so

Joe B. said...

J. Marquis, the problem with qualifying an entire season of a show is, well ... it's qualifying an entire season of a show.

You think the Emmy voters suck now, try and make them think about a series as a complete entity and watch heads all over Hollywood explode under the weight.

And, I'll say it again, why no love out there for Tricia Helfer? If the measure of a performance is how you can't take your eyes off the person when they are on screen, Tricia Helfer is a nominee.

And before you claim I just think she's hot, know that "I don't go that way."

Reel Fanatic said...

Tricia Helfer is someone I definitely overlooked in my short list of the outstanding female performers on BSG ... She is sensational, and it's equally egregious on my part to not laud the work of Grace Park as well

Ms☆Go said...

I need to start watching Battlestar.

Neel Mehta said...

In 1994, for its final season, Star Trek: The Next Generation was nominated for Best Drama. And that show wasn't even on a regular channel -- it was syndicated. Quite possibly the most progressive choice in ATAS history.

So an Emmy nomination for BSG is not out of the question. Unlikely, given the competition, but still possible.

Reel Fanatic said...

Being a regular reader of your reviews, DCMovieGirl, I am almost 100 percent certain you will love Battlestar .. I have to say, though, that I'm thinking about never reviewing a single movie ever again because, as thorougly bad as it was, I just had a blast watching M. Night's "The Happening"

adam k. said...

I disagree strongly that Katee Sackhoff is a "limited" actress. They've asked her to do a hell of a lot on this show, and she's never, ever disappointed. Added to that, she's actually not a "tough girl" offscreen at all. She didn't even originally audition for Starbuck. But somebody there saw potential.

I think Helfer is the limited one. She does sexy and vague incredibly well, but I find that when she's asked to be vulnerable or portray more diverse emotions, as in the various new incarnations of Six we've seen, she often comes up a bit short. She was after all a model first. I do think she's usually great on the show, and fits her role like a glove, but it just struck me as odd that you'd see Sackhoff as the "limited" one.

Olmos, McDonnell, Sackhoff and Callis have always been the standouts. I think they've each deserved Emmy nods every year since the show began. Sackhoff and Callis especially, if you count them as supporting actors, should each have at least 2 Emmys by now. And McDonnell absolutely should have won the lead actress Emmy for season 2. Olmos I think shined brightest in the miniseries, which was more about him. His gravitas has always been essential to the show, but he doesn't usually get to show a lot of range.

adam k. said...

I do agree with Jeremy that BSG faltered a bit around the middle of season 3. It just wasn't the same. But I think they've gotten back on their game since then.

Chus said...

This is what I think: Emmy 2008