Wednesday, September 12, 2007

And the Oscars broadcast goes to ...

Well, unless you've somehow been living in a cave for the past 10 years or so, I guess the picture pretty much gives it away.

I have nothing against Ellen DeGeneres due to her personal life or any nonprofessional reason, but I must say I'm very happy she's not returning for the Oscars this year. Maybe it's just that I'm such a cynical (fairly) old dude, but she's just way too cheerful for me, and if I'm gonna watch a night of celebrity ass-kissing I'd prefer it with a wit more acerbic than hers.

And so, re-enter Jon Stewart, who hosted the Oscars broadcast in 2006 and, according to the New York Times at least, will be returning as host for the next show Feb. 24.

Given his fairly rocky performance the first go-round, I was a little surprised by this news, but in terms of a big star who appeals to people who would usually just tune out the Oscars, you can't get a better name. And, as anyone who watches "The Daily Show" even occasionally knows, Stewart is one seriously funny guy.

Please feel free to let me know what you think, and as further proof (if it's needed) that Jon Stewart is a comedy god, enjoy this YouTube clip of him being analyzed by the late Dr. Katz. Extremely short post today because I've just been switched to a four-day, 10-hour-per-day work week. I'm not complaining, believe me, but it's gonna take some getting used to. Peace out.

10 comments:

Terence Towles Canote said...

Personally, I liked Stewart on the Oscars, but then my sense of humour is a bit more bent than the average person's

Kimberly Nichols said...

I'm with you Mercurie. I enjoyed his hosting and am more than happy to see him return.

Good news.

Chalupa said...

Stewart is gonna rock the Oscars. I enjoyed him too Mercurie. I even went to one of his stand-up shows once in Columbus, OH. It was amazing.

Divinity said...

Have I mentioned my biggest fan-girl moment lately?
http://applepolished.blogspot.com/2005/12/i-should-be-asleep.html
Yay! An Oscars with Stewart that I won't have to be watching on rebroadcast at 2am...

Reel Fanatic said...

I tried to click on the link to your blog, Divinity, but I couldn't get it to work .. If you see this, please let me know what it was!

And I have to agree with all of you that, even if some of the more sensitive Hollywood types don't appreciate his humor, Stewart will just rock

Linda said...

I too love Stewart, and as a card carrying Oscar fan am thrilled to see him hosting the evening. I thought he did a great job last time, nice to see all the support here..... Happy to see him hosting one of my favorite nights on TV!!!!

Divinity said...

I suck at HTML. Sorry. It works if you highlight, copy and paste it into your address bar.

Divinity said...

It's my post from seeing Stewart live (with guest stars Ricky Gervais and Woody Harrelson) in London and then a picture of me with him. The comments from my fan-girl friends are amusing...

Reel Fanatic said...

I won't gush quite like they did, Divinity, but that is awfully friggin cool ... Every day I'm reminded more and more of why I need to move to a bigger city than my little burg!

Divinity said...

London was an amazing place for celebrity encounters. I can only imagine what living in LA and NYC would be like... mind you, that would require living in LA or NYC.